AIGI Submission – Closing the Gap Refresh 2018
Thu 5 Jul 2018
1. Clearly communicate who, how and for what purposes, information is being collected about Indigenous peoples and communities.
2. That the current targets in CTG remain.
3. Support Indigenous peoples and communities through vesting genuine decision-making powers in locally controlled, culturally informed Indigenous organisations.
4. Ensure that local Indigenous organisations are adequately resourced both financially and with the necessary skills.
5. Shift policy to a strength-based discourse.
6. Review the term ‘prosperity’.
7. That additional objectives be included in a refreshed CTG including:
a. Reducing the number of Indigenous peoples incarcerated; and
b. Addressing systematic racism.
8. That governments support sector-specific Indigenous advocacy groups, including the National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples as a national body representing the
interests of Indigenous peoples.
9. Indigenous community organisations be embedded in a refreshed CTG.
For full access to our submission, download below.